top of page

Enrolled Agent or Certified Public Accountant: Which Tax Professional Is Right for You?

EA vs. CPA Tax Professionals: What’s the Difference?


When it comes to managing your taxes, having a knowledgeable and trustworthy professional by your side is essential. Two common tax experts you might encounter are Enrolled Agents (EAs) and Certified Public Accountants (CPAs). Let's explore the differences between them so you can make an informed decision.


** EAs and CPAs: An Overview


Both EAs and CPAs are required to maintain high ethical standards, but their areas of specialization differ:


Enrolled Agents (EAs):


- EAs are federally authorized tax practitioners who specialize in taxation.

- They can represent taxpayers before the IRS on various matters, including collections, audits, and appeals.

- Additional responsibilities of EAs include providing tax advice and filing tax returns for individuals, partnerships, corporations, estates, trusts, and other entities.

- To become an EA, candidates must pass a three-part test, apply to the IRS, and undergo a background check.

- EAs must complete 72 hours of continuing education every three years and adhere to ethical standards set by the Department of Treasury.


Certified Public Accountants (CPAs):


- CPAs are state-licensed accounting professionals with a broader scope of expertise.

- They can work as auditors, accountants, business advisors, corporate accountants, tax consultants, forensic accountants, and financial planners.

- To become a CPA, candidates must pass a four-part exam and meet education and experience requirements.

- Each state has its own rules for maintaining the license but generally requires at least 40 hours of annual continuing education (including ethics).

- CPAs follow ethical rules set by state boards of accountancy and other regulatory agencies.


** Choosing Between an EA and a CPA


So, how do you decide? If your needs are strictly tax-related, an EA may be the go-to professional. For broader financial planning and advice, a CPA might be your best bet. Ultimately, the choice depends on your specific financial situation and needs.

Remember, both EAs and CPAs are bound by ethical standards and possess the expertise to guide you through the tax season. Choose a professional who not only has the right credentials but also the experience and understanding of your unique financial picture.


bottom of page